Welcome to Werstnet.com

Hi, my name is Jeremy Werst, and I'm a web developer working out of Minneapolis, MN.  My specialty is in creating beautiful websites that adhere to modern css and html specifications, specifically working with the concrete5 content management system.

This site is where I post about the things that I create, programming tricks I find, and pretty much everything else that I find interesting. 

Latest Blog Posts:

Testing a new social sharing app

Testing a new social sharing app

I spent most of the summer hanging out in Montana, visiting family and going to my 20th high school reunion. That was, um, interesting. Certainly the subject of another, longer blog post. I often go quite awhile between posts, but nearly four months is a bit much.

Really, I should be trying to write shorter posts more often. It's just so much easier to publish something short on a social network instead of logging in here and writing something super long. It's kind of an ongoing issue, there are actually four or five posts that I've started and not finished in my drafts.

Another issue is that I can't really just quickly share content across multiple networks. I don't use twitter hardly at all, since I don't really have the focus to try and filter through the 1000s of posts every hour in my stream. I share a lot on Facebook, but don't typically take the time to open up a tab for Twitter to post it there, too. 

Don't even get me started on LinkedIn. Does anyone really use that? I've gotten some good job leads from it, though, and if I had quality tech content posted there regularly that would probably increase a lot.

How do we get all of these social networks working together?

There's an old joke about how the barber has the worst haircut and the mechanic's car barely runs. It's true for me. I keep telling myself that I'd work on it and never really seem to find the time. But I'm working on doing some upgrades to the Greaserag site and help them make it easier for them to share content across several different social networks. 

Did a lot of digging tonight, and I think that I've found a really great service that is mostly free (some features cost money) that totally fills the need. It's called dlvr.it and it lets you set up queues for your content, subscribe to RSS feeds, use a browser plugin to share scheduled content, control what content is included in the post... You can publish to multiple accounts, and to facebook pages, groups, or profiles. It can auto parse out hashtags, which would be really handy to a lot of people. You can control the scheduling for individual posts, or the frequency of data from an RSS feed, the number of posts per day...

Really, a ton of features.

I just signed up for it tonight, so this is really the first post trying to use it. I'm hoping that the few minutes I spent setting everything up worked well, and that it will show up properly.

Once I've used it for a week or two, I'll try and remember to write a followup. 

Posted on August 23, 2014
Categories : Personal Social Media web services

Read full post » Read Comments

UX - Less is often more

UX - Less is often more

There are two different ways to approach code. Generic, fits anything and everything for everyone. Or custom and as easy to use as possible, but just for one client. 

Most of what I do is the latter. An image carousel I've been working on made me think about the dichotomy between these two a lot. The way I build applications for concrete5 seems to be completely at opposite with what most people doing things for the marketplace 

Posted on May 1, 2014
Categories : concrete5 programming php code patterns user experience

Read full post » Read Comments