Got the basics of a portfolio page laid out

I'm using my latest add on to make the slides for the page.  The first portfolio piece is Recycle Bin because it already had screenshots taken.

The new slider that I'm working on is pretty neat.  The way it works is by file attributes.  So you pick an image, then there is a link to 'edit attributes.'  Clicking this opens up a new dialog with the edit form for every attribute in the "Slider Attributes" set.  So it's really extensible, you can add as many different attributes as you need to in order to make the layout that you need.  I'm using a super flexible carousel called caroufredsel that allows you to do nearly anything as slides.  It makes making rich full-featured sliders a super easy task.

Of course, mine still leaves a little to be desired.  I need to update the buttons I think for one.  I have always sucked at actually designing interface elements like this, actually trying to draw something to be clicked on gets me flustered and I can't seem to do it.  Good thing that most of what I do is clean up designer's work and get it ready for actual html and css output.  That's a lot more my speed.

I think the overall layout works pretty well.  There are a few things that I don't really like, like the fact that the colborder class comes out a little differently on the top and the bottom - the two lines should be exactly parallel but they aren't and I can't figure out where it's coming from.  The css that I wrote for this site is kind of funky at best, it was a couple of years ago when I actually wrote it all.  I've learned a lot since then.  Still, I don't want to re-write the whole thing from scratch so I find myself patching things without understanding the underlying reason of "WHY" the patch is needed, there are bugs and I know there are bugs but I don't know how to fix them.

Anyway, now that I have a basic framework I'm going to work on going through some of my old projects and actually making project pages for them with slides and content and links to related projects and everything.  I need to work on getting a better list view for the projects, too.  I just threw up a standard page list, there's no styling right now at all.  Ideally I'd be putting up a large image and a nice chunk of text with a title and a nicely styled 'more' link.

I guess that will be tomorrow's project.

I updated Hutman News, Popup Video and Vimeo blocks today to be compatible with 5.5.  For Popup Video and Vimeo the fix was just simply testing and then enabling it for 5.5 - the blocks worked the same.  The display was a little off in each but not glaringly so, I might try to incorporate the bootstrap styles but I kind of doubt it.  For Hutman News it was a lot more complicated.  I had to duplicate the dashboard helper and make it output 'hutman-ui' instead of 'ccm-ui' then update that everywhere in a new 'hutcms.app.css' file that gets added when you are on our dashboard page.  I need to go through and pare this file down, and reduce the number of images included.  But I had to duplicate the class so that I could strip out the styles that apply to tables so that the flexigrid component would work.  The styles in bootstrap eat into any table inside of a 'ccm-ui' tag, and the flexigrid component needs very specific css with no extra padding added to the table cells.  It works, but it's a cludge and I wish there was a better way to do it.  It ups the size of the download for our add on from 84 kilobytes to 3.3 megabytes to make sure that all of the image links work.  I guess tomorrow's task will be to pare down the css to only the specific rules needed to display OUR dashboard pages.

Other than that it worked great with 5.5.  Most of how it's written uses the API to do all the page and attribute interaction, so the only hard part was figuring out how to get the table styles not to interfere.  I actually took the time to go through the core and add a class of "ccm-ui-table" to every table that required it in the core, then scoped the table styles to that and it worked great.  The problem is that they didn't wrap my changes up into the core and my pull request was quickly out of date.  No good.  So I had to take a differrent approach.  I think duplicating the dashboard styles but defining it to our own scope works quite well, and is probably the best solution available to the problem.

Anyway, you can view the first of my new "Project Pages" by clicking here.

blog comments powered by Disqus